Instructions and Cautions
Setting Up Your Nose Cleaner Is Easy!
The batteries are pre-installed. All you have to do is attach the nasal dock to the mechanical module, taking care that the blue O-rings stay snug in their channels (Fig. 1). That’s all there is to it!
1. Fill the upper tank to the Fill Line with warm water (Fig. 2). See page 6 for important information about water.
2. Place a new, unused SaltPod capsule in the crushing chamber, foil-side down (Fig. 3).
3. Close the lid firmly until you hear it click shut, and do not reopen it (Fig. 4).
4. Gently shake the device for a second or two to mix the SaltPod contents with the water in the upper tank.
5. Locate the two-stage Power Button (see Exploded View on page 8). When you push the button in half-way, you will hear the motor and the pump will start. You can actually feel the suction by covering both nose pillows with your finger tips while pressing the button in half-way. You will feel light suction from only one of the pillows. Remember, the rinse gets pulled in through one pillow and exits through the other. Firmly push the button in all the way and the drain valve will open, allowing the rinse to flow out of the other nose pillow. Be sure to do this over a sink!
6. Arrows on the nasal dock indicate the direction of flow (Fig. 5). Again, note that the rinse goes into the nose through one nose pillow, and out of the nose through the other.
7. Run a little water over the nose pillows to make them easier to slip into your nostrils.
8. Observing the 3 P's guarantees your success with Naväge:
POSITION: Insert and center the nose pillows in your nostrils. Be sure not to block the tips against the nasal walls. They should be in snug, but not too snug. The flexible pillow stems can be bent to obtain a centered, comfortable fit (Fig. 6). With the nose pillows it’s all about keeping the tips centered and unblocked.
PRESS: Press the pillows into your nose firmly enough to create a seal. Once the cycle is initiated, back off a little. This will decrease the pressure and increase the flow. If one of the pillow tips is blocked against the nasal wall, suction will decrease or stop, and you may get water down your throat, slow flow, or no flow at all. That’s why you want to back off the pressure a little. Wiggling the nose pillows around in your nostrils can also help improve the seal.
POSTURE: Relax… Keep your head level, look forward, and don’t bend over (Fig. 7). Breathe normally through your mouth. Now push the Power Button in half-way for a second or two and feel the suction. Or you can push it in all the way right from the start (press hard). Experiment and you’ll find what works best for you.
9. Naväge uses powered suction. Keeping the Power Button pushed in half-way for more than a second or two may cause minor ear discomfort in some users. This condition typically resolves on its own similar to riding in an elevator or airplane, and it is harmless. To avoid this completely, firmly press the Power Button in all the way, right from the start, so that it is flush with the side of the unit. This will allow the saline to flow into your nose immediately.
10. Nasal irrigation is safe and effective, and it can be done as often as you wish. While you’re learning, we recommend using your Naväge several times in a row to get the hang of it quickly.
11. A Naväge cycle can last from 10 seconds to a minute depending on your personal anatomy and how congested you are. Most cycles last from 20 to 30 seconds. The cycle is complete when the upper tank is empty.
12. If your sinuses are completely blocked, see Troubleshooting Tip #5 on page 5 of the Owner’s Manual.
13. Release the Power Button and remove the pillows from your nostrils. Most users will have a little saline left in their nose. Tilt your head forward and gently blow your nose.
14. Twist off the bottom tank and empty it. Clean your device following the instructions on page 5 of the Owner’s Manual.
- If you experience pain during use, stop immediately. If the pain continues, consult a health care professional.
- About water. The US FDA advises using filtered, distilled, or previously boiled water for nasal irrigation. The US CDC provides detailed information about boiling, filtering, and disinfecting water for nasal irrigation at cdc.gov.
- Most users prefer to warm their water prior to use. Do not overheat the water, it should be lukewarm to the touch and not hotter than about 85°-90°F (29°- 32°C).
- Rinsing your nasal passages with plain, unsalted water will cause a painful burning sensation.
- Consult your physician before use if you recently had ear or nose surgery.
- Nose bleeds are a rare but known side effect of saline nasal irrigation. Consult your physician if you experience a nose bleed after use.
- Do not use if your nasal passages are 100% blocked and you cannot breathe through either nostril. 100% blockage is rare, and nasal irrigation can help relieve even the most stuffed up sinus condition. See Troubleshooting Tip #5 on page 5 of the Owner’s Manual for more details.
- Do not use if you have an ear infection or if your ears are blocked.
- Ear popping and ear fullness are rare but known side effects of nasal irrigation that typically resolve on their own in a short time. Discontinue use and consult your physician if the condition persists.
- Holding the Power Button in the suction-only mode (pressed in half-way) for more than a few seconds may cause minor ear discomfort. To avoid this, press the Power Button in all the way, right from the start. This will prevent suction buildup and allow the saline rinse to flow into your nose immediately.
- Consult a health care practitioner if you are using the Naväge Nose Cleaner to relieve congestion due to a nasal illness and there is no improvement after use; or if your symptoms persist or worsen; or if you have a persistently thick and yellow or green discharge; or if skin at the base of the nostrils becomes raw or crusted.
- Terminate use if no saline appears in the lower tank after 60 seconds.
- Do not use continuously for longer than three minutes.
- To prevent cross infection between users, the Naväge Nose Cleaner should not be shared.
- Not for use by children under the age of twelve.
- Clean the nose pillows and device after each use according to the cleaning instructions.
- Using the product with illegal drugs, alcohol, or prescription drugs except when prescribed by a physician is prohibited, may damage the device, voids the warranty, and may cause serious injury.
- Use only as indicated in these instructions provided with the Naväge Nose Cleaner or as directed by your physician.
The US FDA advises using filtered, distilled, or previously boiled water for nasal irrigation, and that water “passed through a filter with an absolute pore size of 1 micron or smaller” is safe for nasal irrigation. See www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm316375.htm.
Nasal irrigation is safe and effective, and doctors advise that it can be practiced as often as you wish. Once you get the hang of it, we recommend using your Naväge several times in a row to help quickly master the art of nasal cleansing. Please also see the Naväge Owner’s Manual for additional information, including Cleaning Instructions and Troubleshooting Tips:
Owner’s Manual (English)
Owner’s Manual (French)
If you need assistance, please call Customer Service at 800 203-6400. Our reps are daily Naväge users themselves, and they are eager to help!